darrenyeats;641911 Wrote:
> Well, I have "gone active" as you put it! +1 on that.
>
> As a long-time Inguz user until this year, I don't believe DSP can fix
> everything. It's a valid solution in some circumstances - I don't see
> it as black and white - but I believe it should be the last resort.
>
> Of course, domestic factors are real so DSP can help. But I think it
> won't provide all the benefits of appropriate room treatment.
> Darren

Inguz is not the issue - it's only the convolver which is a pure maths
function. The art is in defining the convolution curve "nicely" and in
measuring the stuff accurately in the first place.

Using Audiolense and a very good mic and ADC to capture (and using
Inguz only as the convolver) is a very different solution that IME is
ahead of (say) TACT et al.

As someone who (in their time) has spent thousands on room treatments
in several rooms, I'm happy to say that I "know" DSP is more capable
than Helmholz resonators, bass traps, wave diffractors and other "bits
of foam" at taming the sound of speakers in a room. YMMV of course. In
either case, the real trick is to start with a room that needs as
little correction of any sort as possible (e.g. good dimensions and
materials and layout). Then the "correction" can mostly just deal with
the peculiarities of the speakers (in the room).

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/XP) - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103
- full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5),
Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters, Blue Jeans Belden Digital,Kimber
8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.