I got this up and running on my main system this weekend, I set spdif to
59 and was shocked, it was so harsh, and the bass seemed to almost
disappear. I thought I had broken the DAC.

Then I set it back down to 44 and the bass was back and the harshness
went away. I was not prepared for the amount of change this caused.

44 is an interesting number because the jive-alsa thread has a default
priority of 45. So by setting spdif to 45 or above you are now putting
it at a higher priority than the jive_alsa thread, which is what
actually might be causing the sound changes. It might be an interesting
test to try running jive_alsa at a higher priority (say 55) and then try
running s/pdif in the 50 to 60 range.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson