An interesting data point is that Bob Stuart of meridian who's company
basically was behind the now dead DVDA MHR format (now resurrected as
dolby true HD with some modifications ) .

Does not design products that works with fs greater than 96k , because
it is not needed, some DVDA/CD player in the 800 series migth offer
192k dac to it's analog outputs. But all processors and DSP speakers
works with internal signals of 88.2 or 96 kHz 44.1 and 48 k gets
upconverted for the DSP engine and 176.4 and 192 downconverted .
The DAC's that finally converts to analog might do other things
internally in the dac chip as usual, I have not investigated that .

I think it tells me something when the people that believed* something
"better than CD" was needed and developed DVDA stopped at 24/96 being
good enough for all conceivable purposes and don't play the numbers
game further,on the original topic of 384kHz.

*Believed not really, it was some research done, I'm not a good enough
engineer to tell if they where right or wrong. But it was not simply
some audiophile voodo conviction. But research and science is an
ongoing process where facts gets adjusted when new evidence surface.
I give them the benefit of doubt here, it is not easy to tell as almost
no recordings are good enough to tell the difference even if it exists

This is in contrast to the "religious analogue" beliefs the audiophiles
sometimes suffer from where the facts are known beforehand and no
research or evidence can move them (see the blind test debate ;) ).

Nowadays I've try to be *format agnostic* and get good recordings
whatever format they come in. I would even consider buying one of those
352 recordings if I find interesting music with good SQ just as I get
downloads or CD's.
The recording itself has such overwhelming influence on SQ that the
delivery format to customer hardly matters within reasonable limits as
better than cassette or lowrate mp3 :) imho.

Bad recordings sound bad because they are bad not because they are
delivered on CD, don't you think.

Now does 2L have any hirez downloads or are you limited to some kind of
discs ? I would prefer not to go with HDcrap if possible (they do sell
2L too)

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad