the comments are all over the place. I don't have time to read them all,
but I got the CNN version of them.

There are a few reasons for having done this. BTW this was my doing:)
Reason #1 and the most important reason is because my customer wanted
to be able to play 24/384 on his 24/384 DAC. This is not to say that's
all he will do, but he wanted to try it. Basically, we will do anything
interesting for a customer. As noted there are a few titles (people
collect them) and I have it on good word from the owner of Blue Coast
Recordings that more titles are on the way. The content will be native
DSF (stereo version of DSDIFF) and plenty of software exists to convert
it to high resolution PCM

Reason #2 is because recently some have figured out a way to rip SACD
and there will be plenty of 1bit 2.82MHz content available for
conversion. In fact people are already posting the results and they are
promising.

Reason #3 for this work is simply for R&D. We need to push the envelope
and see what is possible. How do we know we can't tell the difference if
we don't try? Why go to the moon? Why go racing on Sunday? All this work
has positive spin-offs that come to surface for all of us to enjoy at
our comfort level.

Reason #4 is up sampling and yes it has to do with being able to hear
it and also being able to play it. I have done tests with unsuspecting
friends that are not even remotely audiophiles. You should see there
faces and the questions they ask? Questions like, "how the "F" did you
do that" There wives sit there at the same time and say, "WOW". I
submit that any of you can here sound stage and depth of sound even if
you believe the sample rate can't be heard. These are things my
unsuspecting friends that are not even remotely audiophiles hear.

Right now I can think of five DACs that can play 24/384. They are
mostly USB input and it just works if they don't require special
drivers. It was not to long ago when people misspoke about 24/192 DACs
and look around now. The majority of DACs internally up sample in
hardware to 24/192.

If you ask me what is needed I would tell you it's not more ideal talk
from experts. What is needed is a plug in that will allow DSD playback
from DSF or DSDIFF files with the appropriate conversion to 24/88.2
PCM. Since your devices are limited on sample rate to 24/96KHz the
plug-in needs to be 24/88.2KHz. Any takers can send me an IM and you
will find I'm happy to support the effort.

--
vortecjr