I just repeat myself here from other post and say that I strongly
recommend one of the diy units. If you're handy with soldering iron
there is no other way.
I went through range of commercial dacs including Transporter, Minimax,
Benchmark, Audio GD, Northstar Design, Weiss and some I don't remember
names of. Always there was something keeping me off those units, either
sonic performance or high price. Sure it is a matter of personal taste
but what I recently got for $175, blew away everything I have heard so
far.
This is a dac kit based on PCM1794 and extremely good class-A output
stage - all discrete, paper-in-oil coupling capacitors, Vishay
resistors etc. All high quality components.
Take a look here.

http://www.fetaudio.com/

No affiliation whatsoever. Just to let you know that you don't have to
pay $2000 or more for dac done right.

--
gizek

SB Touch > DIY FDA-1 DAC > Audio Research LS3b preamp > Pass Labs XA30.5
amp > Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M