soundcheck;668446 Wrote:

> @evdplancke: Your setup looks pretty close to mine now. I guess we're
> talking the same language now. ;)

Happy to see that following your advices helped greatly to get a better
sound. Again intensive listening yesterday night, adding a lastest
optimization: finding the right place on my sofa to enjoy the
soundstage... IMHO this is a must have, with all but subtile
improvements :)

soundcheck;668446 Wrote:

> next project: Media Server
>
> I'm currently working on a better Linux server setup. For me as a Linux
> guy
> it's a bit disappointing/annoying to have to run a Windows 7 server for
> best sound.
> I honestly never expected to find a better server base  with that W7
> platform.
>
> BTW: I'm wondering if anybody can confirm the differences when running
> servers from different OSs.

I will resume comparison between W7x64HP and Synology NAS DS211j but
first, I have to get rid of the subjective assumption that W7 must
sound better and I need to build-up a list of reference tracks and get
used to how they sound with W7 and TT3.0 before to start with serious
listening comparison.

Some other thoughts about server tuning:

1) W7 Pro offers QoS tuning not part of W7 Home Premium. I would be
curious to know if this can improve the sound a step further by
reducing the Ethernet jitter between SBS and Touch. In theory, less
jitter on Ethernet would mean more stable CPU load for managing the
Ethernet traffic.

2) What about fanless HW such as Shuttle XS32GTV2 (Atom dual core@1,6
GHz + Nvidia ION2)? The idea is to get it fixed behind the TV with SSD
inside for silent mode (I don't like the fan/HDD noise from my
DVD/current streambox).

3) What about splitting storage and processing by storing the music to
the NAS and using a W7/Linux front-end server for SBS? Did someone try
such a setting? Probably 1) is a prerequisite for that setup, giving
prio to streaming flow on the server rather that NAS access.

--
evdplancke