soundcheck;668895 Wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> For those who can't skip the wireless:
>
> Below you'll find two scenarios to get your wireless situation easily
> under control.
>

> 1.
> You build a wireless bridge, which usually also acts as wireless range
>
> extender.
>
> Those wireless bridge devices are almost plug'n play. You don't have to
> have
> an IT degree to get those working.
>
> Example:
> a.
> Have a look at the  Netgear Universal Wireless WN2000RPT WIFI Repeater
> This piece comes with 4 LAN ports. You put it right beside your Touch
> and connect it with e.g. a 3 foot Monster ethernet cable to your
> Touch.
>
> On the other side it'll connect wireless to your WLAN router.

OK. So, I chickened out about the Netgear unit you mention after
reading the many reviews about its unreliable performance. Instead, I
got an "Amped Wireless High Power Wireless-N Smart Repeater and Range
Extender (SR300)." ($90).

Amazon delivered in less than 24 hours and it only took 10 minutes to
install and hook up via Ethernet cable to the Touch in my main system.

Now, I'll try to curb my enthusiasm and only be as descriptive as I can
about my experience of this setup with TT3.0 (without vollock).

I tought of describing the sound improvement over TT3.0 + WLAN as
*fairly subtle* because the overall timbres and tonal balance were not
affected, except that the difference was noticeable enough to be
immediately apparent and sustained over a few days of listening to a
wide variety of tracks. Because the sound now had a greater
continuousness, I considered describing it (as magiccarpetride has) as
*analog*, except I never heard analog this clear and open in my system.
In the end, I settled on the thought that the sound was just more
*right*. Yes, it is a very imprecise word, but I hope it conveys that
everything about the music presentation with this latest mod seems just
more like music and less like music reproduction.

I confess: I have not done any blind or double blind testing. I
understand the fallibility of our sense. I am aware of the placebo
effect, expectation bias, cognitive dissonance, etc., etc.

And I have not the foggiest idea why substituting a wired connection
(itself wirelessly hooked up to the router) for a purely Wi-Fi link
should make any difference at all in the resulting sound the Touch
delivers.

But my system sounds more realistic and more involving than ever. And
so I listen with a big smile on my face. To those who are still
connected through Wi-Fi, I suggest: Try a bridge. I think you'll like
it!

And to Klaus, thanks again!

Guido F.

--
guidof

MUSIC ROOM:
Marantz TT 15S1 Turntable, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge -> Conrad Johnson
Motif preamp
Oppo BDP--83 Universal Player; Squeezebox Touch (digital out) ->
Cambridge Azur 840C DAC -> Adcom GFP-750 preamp -> Music Reference
RM-200 Mk II amp -> Martin Logan SL3 speakers
DSpeaker Antimode 8033 equalizer -> REL T1 Subwoofer
BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch (analog out) -> Little Dot Mk III amp -> AKG K701
headphones
SECOND BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch -> Grado SR125 headphones