praganj;672493 Wrote:
> It looks that Buffalo DAC is better engineered than many other "well
> enigineered" DACs :)

The TP Buffalo DAC is just a Sabre DAC appliance. I don't see much of
impressive engineering.
It's extremly sensitive on incoming distortions. It requires multi
stage de-jittering to make that device sing. The key area
"(onboard)power supply"
needed to be swapped out completely.

However - We use that device for testing though. Because it's cheap.
And delivers a nice base.

But on the BII you at least need to

1. swap all onboard regulators (LiPoFe4 batteries prefered)
2. run a better output stage (passive transformer based)
3. at least put a real good pulse transformer on the SPDIF input
4. remove the PIC

All that can  easily double/triple the price tag. However. At that
tweaked level you'll have a close to reference quality device at hand.

IMO in the key areas TP just delivers average audio electronics.

The newest Bufallo incarnation is supposed to be better then BII
though.

If you have a look at other commercial applications of that Sabre DAC
you'll see that you can do better on the engineering part. ;)

Cheers

--
soundcheck

::: ' Touch Toolbox 3.0 and more' (http://soundcheck-audio.blogspot.com)