Terry,
I am not an engineer, so perhaps I am not the best to explain.

An example of correlated noise is quantization noise. Taking as an
example your dreaded 1kHz tone, quantization noise would add side bands
to the 1kHz signal, yes. But it isn't these side bands that define noise
as correlated. By correlated, one means the noise is a deterministic
function of the signal - or put another way, same signal in (even an
apparently random one), exactly the same noise produced.

If we use this definition of correlated noise (and I do) then dithering
randomizes the noise - it makes the noise unpredictable for a given
input signal.

That takes care of the technical side, now to practical matters. As you
asked, what impact would randomizing the noise have?

Here, I point to the fact that we hear music as frequencies - not
amplitude values! To the degree a human is able to hear a signal as
frequencies then that signal does contain enough cyclical information
to benefit from dither. A signal beyond the help of randomized noise
would itself sound like noise, I think.

Regards, Darren

--
darrenyeats