Just when you thought that the high end audio press could not get any
more ridiculous TAS (The Absolute Sound) has taken that leap from the
ridiculous to the sublime.

Starting with issue #218 (December 2011) TAS began a four part series
entitled "Computer Music Audio Quality" co-authored by Charles Zeilig,
Ph.D. and Jay Clawson. I have no idea who the authors are or what makes
them "experts" on computer music audio quality since no biographical
information on the authors is provided.

I was going to write this post after reading part one of the series but
after reading part two in TAS issue #219 (January 2012) I'm glad I
waited. To put things bluntly these gentlemen are completely out of
their minds. To go over each and every one of the numerous
misconceptions and complete nonsense contained within just the first
two parts of the series would make for very long post so just let me
hit upon some of the more outrageous claims.

The basic premise of the series is that there is a way to measure and
improve the digital bit stream being fed by a computer into an external
DAC, in other words a way to make the ones more "one" and the zeros more
"zero". Of course since Zeilig has a Ph.D. the whole is presented in a
very serious matter with detailed descriptions of the methodology and
lots of charts, tables and graphs. Wow I'm so damn impressed!

Part one of the series basically served has an introduction and it is
only with the publishing of part two that one gets to read first hand
just how off the wall the authors actually are. In part two the authors
do a detailed survey of various playback software, sample rate
convertors, CD ripping software, CD burning software and even blank
CDRs. Again, has I stated, it's only serious with lots detailed tables
and even a convenient "Sound SCore" scale, which kind of reminds me of
that famous guitar amp in "This Is Spinal Tap" which plays louder well
because it goes to eleven.

What makes all this so crazy is that the authors claim that it is not
just bit perfect transmission to the DAC which is important but that
the various software programs can somehow make the music sound better
and not just a little better but measurably better, enough so that a
sound Score can be given to each program. Of course the "measurements"
are not via any type testing equipment but by the author's golden ears
alone.

I'd love to go on but to really appreciate how great this stuff is one
needs to read the series for oneself. And as an added bonus issue #219
also contains TAS's Product of the Year awards where the $549/meter
AudioQuest Diamond USB cable is given "Digital Cable of the Year"
honors. I guess this cable also manages to make those pesky one and
zeros somehow less pesky.

Since this is the audiophile section I fully expect someone to post
something along the lines of how can I be so dismissive without having
heard what effects the various items in the article actually do have on
sound quality and to which I answer because I understand the basic
principles of binary computer data and one and zeros are just that:
ones and zeros not super ones and zeros.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch