Hi all,
you may have noticed that I have been absent from this discussion so
far, I have been very busy developing a new DAC with a radical new
S/PDIF input stage which hopefully will make some of this tweaking a
little less necessary. Anyway the first prototype of this new DAC is
going out to get assembled tomorrow, so I found my self with a free
evening, so I decided to finally try TT3.0.

I first tried it with the analog outs. It was pretty good, maybe a bit
better than 2.0, but still not nearly as good as a GOOD external DAC.
Then I tried the daemon killler, WOW, what a difference that made. That
opened up the sound significantly, a wide sound stage, tons of detail
but smooth and "organic". Bass was significantly extended. I was
listening to an organ and choir piece I have listened to many times
before and heard a counter melody in the lower pedal notes that I had
never noticed before.

Then I tried into some S/PDIF DACs, very strange, this actually didn't
sound as good as the analog out! I was getting that infamous
"fuzziness" people have been talking about. Very strange. I haven't had
time to try out all the different priorities people have been talking
about. One of the DACs is my own design from about 2 years ago, which
sounded really good with tt2.0.

>From trying different DACs it sounds like there is something going on
here which is exciting differences in S/PDIF input receiver circuits.
Different ones seem to respond differently to the same settings. It
does seem like there might be a fair amount of tuning going on rather
than an absolute "best for everything" setting.

On the analog outs, especially with the daemon killer, tt3.0 seems to
be a big step forward, making the results sound better than anything
else I had heard from most external DACs. (remember this is with a good
external supply and output caps removed) But with S/PDIF things seems to
be a little more challenging to get really really good results.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson