ralphpnj;683644 Wrote:
> But, but, but what about those mega-buck asynchronous USB DACs used to
> connect one's MacBook, via a $500 USB cable, and running the $700 Pure
> Music software? Surely this set up has to sound many orders of
> magnitude better than the lowly $300 SB Touch connected to a DAC with
> $10 coax cable?
>
> If not then we are talking about ten of thousands of dollars in
> advertising income going out the window.
>
> Okay so the above statement goes a long way in explaining why all those
> worthless high end audio rags, oops I mean, magazines are deeply vested
> in promoting many, many audio myths but how does one explain the many
> audiophiles who actually believe this drivel?

Until recently, I had never heard the name "Veblen Good". To quote that
all-seeing oracle of everything, wikipedia:

In economics, Veblen goods are a group of commodities for which
people's preference for buying them increases as their price increases,
as greater price confers greater status, instead of decreasing according
to the law of demand. A Veblen good is often also a positional good. The
Veblen effect is named after economist Thorstein Veblen, who first
pointed out the concepts of conspicuous consumption and
status-seeking.

I think this explains quite a bit of this stuff. As to why anyone would
think they got status from buying/displaying a $500 usb cable, I
couldn't say. I would think that it would mark one as a credulous fool,
but then who am I to judge :)

--
totoro

sb3 -> mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4 + rel storm 3