totoro;683792 Wrote:
> Until recently, I had never heard the name "Veblen Good". To quote that
> all-seeing oracle of everything, wikipedia:
>
> In economics, Veblen goods are a group of commodities for which
> people's preference for buying them increases as their price increases,
> as greater price confers greater status, instead of decreasing according
> to the law of demand. A Veblen good is often also a positional good. The
> Veblen effect is named after economist Thorstein Veblen, who first
> pointed out the concepts of conspicuous consumption and
> status-seeking.
>
> I think this explains quite a bit of this stuff. As to why anyone would
> think they got status from buying/displaying a $500 usb cable, I
> couldn't say. I would think that it would mark one as a credulous fool,
> but then who am I to judge :)

And the law of diminishing returns which would only apply to certain
aspects of audiophilia. One could argue that a $2k spkr system would
likely yield a better sound than a $400 system.  However going from a
$5 cable or speaker wire to a $100 cable/wire might yield less
improvement or none at all.

--
dasmueller