I asked a good friend of mine who is a recording engineer and an expert
in digital audio since digital audio is, after all, his livelihood to
read through the first three parts of the series. Here is what he wrote
back to me:

"Wow, that was some tedious reading. I had to skim through some of it
in order to get to what they were actually trying to do, so I might
have missed something.

But let me get to one particular part that puzzles me the most. It's
the one where they convert from wav to flac, compare the listening
quality, and then convert from flac back to wav and compare the quality
again. There is a very basic and obvious test they could have made that
would have told them if there were any differences between the original
wav file and the one that were converted back from flac. Bring them both
into a multitrack program such as Logic, Protools, Audacity etc, invert
the phase on one of them and then play back. If the audio is identical,
playback should be completely silent since the two signals would cancel
each other out. If they were still able to hear some sound, that would
prove that something was messing with audio integrity along the way,
but if the result was indeed complete silence, that would prove, beyond
all doubt, that the differences they claim to hear don't exist and that
they're crackpots.

So why, in such an extremely tedious and rigorous test, wouldn't they
include such a simple reality check?

I just finished co-producing, mixing and mastering a five song EP for
this band .... they decided to offer the full quality audio files, so I
ended up making both Apple Lossless, Flac, and Mp3 files so that the
customer gets the link to all three.

Now, that seemed like an excellent opportunity to do the test I
proposed. In this case, the original master file was created in aiff
format which is sonically the same as wav (both regular PCM files but
with different header formats). That file was converted to wav using
iTunes (where we also made the apple lossless and mp3 files). To create
the flac files I used a software called Flacer.

In order to do the test, I used another software, called Fission, to
convert from Flac back to wav. I then brought both the files into
Logic, put a phase inverter on one of them and hit play. Total Silence!

So yes, these guys are crackpots."

Interesting, very interesting.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch