darrenyeats;684535 Wrote:
> Last night I ripped the CD layer of the 2004 SACD Hybrid of 461 Ocean
> Boulevard by Eric Clapton.
>
> Sadly, listening on headphones on the train I can hear clearly that
> this master is a lot louder than the early CD release I bought
> previously. Disappointing that the loudness war strikes again.
>
> I will have a look with audacity tonight to survey what I hear. Has
> anyone compared the two layers?
> Darren

Back to the topic, had a look in Audacity. Indeed, SACD (bottom) has
had dynamic compression applied compared to early CD release (top).

It's not the worst I've experienced, but look at all those peaks at
0db...no excuse for this in a so called "audiophile" SACD Hybrid
release.

Am willing to believe the SACD layer might be different.
Darren

PS: Track is "I Shot the Sheriff" which is one of the more upbeat
tracks from the album.

|Filename: CD_versus_SACD-CD-layer.jpg                              |
|Download: http://forums.slimdevices.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12958|

darrenyeats

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/richpub/listmania/byauthor/A3H57URKQB8AQO/ref=cm_pdp_content_listmania/203-7606506-5721503.

SB Touch