darrenyeats;685631 Wrote:
> I'm in favour of blind tests and level matching. However, I'm aware that
> level matching isn't fool-proof and straightforward. Sometimes the
> loudspeakers being compared have a different frequency response so the
> question becomes, level matched at what frequencies?
>
> You can use broadband noise or multi-tones, but the problem will surely
> manifest if you are comparing  using a drum and bass track one minute
> versus an opera track the next?
> Darren

Last time I went shopping I brought with a simple 30% volume pink noise
track.  You can hear a bit of the tonal differences between loudspeakers
when you play the pink track.  Pink noise is wide enough that you can
get close enough when leveling loudspeakers with an SPL meter.  I
didn't think to bring a tripod so just moving my hand around a tiny bit
would vary the signal by +-0.3db.  I figured I would get close enough to
80db to consider all the speakers I was listening to "leveled"

--
SuperQ