mlsstl;685902 Wrote:
> It is extraordinarily unlikely that the capability to read either CDs or
> play any format of audio file will simply disappear.
>
> Look at all prior formats. It's not a problem to find equipment to play
> 78s or even Edison rolls.
>
> Now you may not have the convenience of strolling into Best Buy and
> have a choice of a hundred different new players to choose from, but
> the thought of digital music becoming unplayable in my lifetime just
> isn't a concern.

Agreed, it is vanishingly unlikely. But to guard against even the
slightest chance of forced obsolescence due the the whim of software
companies, store your music in an open source format (e.g. flac) on an
open source file system (e.g. Ext3/4). Similar advice apples to the
storage of any type of data.

--
darrell