magiccarpetride;685954 Wrote:
> Good points. Regarding point #1, we've already discussed elsewhere how
> difficult it gets to match the wine with the meal. Different
> connoisseurs will have different experiences when pairing different
> wines/meals. Same goes for power cables. On my system, which is biased
> toward punchy, resolute, dynamic sound, Nordost power cables only
> exacerbate that quality, rendering it caricatural. Because of that,
> I've discovered that Shunyata plays very nicely by making the sound
> sweeter, more liquid, while at the same time clearing it up. Other
> people's system may not respond to Shunyata favorably, but may welcome
> Nordost as a much needed boost in dynamics and torque. Blind tests are
> absolutely useless there.
No, a blind test will establish whether you *really* hear a difference
between different power cords - you may have fallen victim to the
placebo effect, or some variant thereof. Of course, if you are able to
distinguish between them under blind conditions, you can then decide
which you prefer at your leisure.
magiccarpetride;685954 Wrote:

> Re #2, when was the last time you've heard that an audiophile component
> was offered on the market by combining parts from various high-end
> vendors? All the components we see on the market today were made in a
> monolithic fashion, meaning that a Bryston amplifier was made by
> Bryston Ltd. For them to say "oh, and by the way, we have partnered
> with Shunyata to give you even better experience" would be unthinkable.
> For two reasons:
>
> 1. They'd be admitting that they are incapable of manufacturing high
> quality power cable, and if they can't do that, what are the odds that
> the rest of their product is any good?
>
> 2. They cannot guarantee how will Shunyata pair with other components
> in their customers' audio chain.
>
> It is much safer and less controversial for them to just deny that
> there is any possibility of improving the sound of their amp. It's
> already exorbitantly expensive, so it must sound amazing right out of
> the box.
>
> Plus they know that 95% of their customers are incapable of hearing any
> difference between their high end product and some dinky Best Buy home
> theatre AV receiver, so why bother?

I'm sure that many, many manufacturers supply other manufacturers,
unadvertised, with OEM parts. But you misunderstand me, If I were
Bryston, and I *knew* that a certain power cable improved the sound of
my amplifier, I would buy a single example of said power cable and
reverse engineer it.

--
darrell