Munroe;686387 Wrote:
> I am pretty sure the masterings are from the same remaster.  I have two
> versions of the LP, as well as the 80's CD remaster ripped lossless and
> the more recent 24/96 I assume converted from the SACD remaster sessions
> to FLAC....
>
> Overall, my own goal is to bring the SBT closer to, or surpass, the
> vinyl sound.

The various versions may be from the same DSD (SACD) source master, but
that doesn't mean that the LP and the high res are produced from the
same master. Pretty much by definition, the LP will require mastering
changes from the digital file in order to make a proper LP remaster. So
yes, comparing the hi-res to the LP is an apples and oranges
comparision.

I agree with Phil. If you can make a high-quality rip of your LP, that
might tell you something. I've ripped about 50 LPs, and the resulting
digital file sounds like what most people think "analogue" sounds like.
Like an LP.

In other words, the sound many don't like about "digital" isn't
inherent in a digital recording by it's nature; it comes from something
else in the recording, mastering, and reproduction process.

--
firedog

GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. Tranquil PC fanless server running
Vortexbox OS; SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car; MF X-DAC-V3,
MF X-150 as pre-amp, Grant Fidelity B-283MKII buffer>ClassDaudio SDS-470
amp; Devore Gibbon Super 8 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional
use); sometimes use PC with M-Audio 192 as digital source. SB Boom in
second room. Arcam CD82 which I don't use anymore, even though it's a
very good player.