cliveb;687037 Wrote:
> Been away on holiday but was interested to see this thread on my return.
> I've been digitising vinyl as a hobby since 1994 (started on Windows
> 3.11 with just 1GB of disk space, using a very early release of
> Goldwave). I have tried a lot of tools over the years. For anyone
> interested in detailed notes, there's a page I wrote up here:
> http://delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm. I need to emphasise that it hasn't
> been updated for some time, but that doesn't alter the basic
> principles.
>
> 1. The first principle of vinyl ripping is this: it's a time consuming
> process. If the album you plan to rip is available on CD, buy the CD.
> Only rip the vinyl if:
> a). The CD version is a botched job (bad transfer, hypercompressed
> "remaster", tracks edited/remixed, etc); or
> b). The CD is rare and costs a fortune; or
> c). You are some kind of weirdo (like me) who actually enjoys the vinyl
> ripping process.
> Of course, if the album isn't available on CD, then you will need to
> rip it yourself (or find a good quality downloadable needle drop on the
> net).
>
> 2. The second principle is this: automatic cleanup tools can often make
> things worse. Sure, they'll remove some clicks and pops, but often leave
> behind undesirable artefacts. If you're serious about doing a good
> needle drop, you need to do a lot of manual restoration. (Which makes
> the process even more time-consuming, which reinforces point 1,
> above).
>
> 3. Regarding the 16 v 24 bit argument:
> A few people have commented that recording at 24 bit is worthwhile if
> you're going to do any post processing. However, I would make the
> following points:
> a). There are some useful tools around which only support 16 bit. By
> recording at 24 bit you deny yourself access to these tools.
> b). The surface noise of vinyl is so high that even if you run several
> DSP passes over a 16 bit recording the rounding/truncation artefacts
> still won't encroach into the vinyl noise floor.
> So my conclusion is that it is perfectly safe to do vinyl rips and
> process them entirely in the 16 bit domain.

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and the link to your very
comprehensive review. Most appreciated!

Guido F.

--
guidof

MUSIC ROOM:
Marantz TT 15S1 Turntable, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge->Conrad Johnson
Motif preamp
Oppo BDP-83 Universal Player->Cambridge Azur 840C DAC
Vortexbox Appliance->WiFi Bridge->Squeezebox Touch->Toslink->Cambridge
Azur 840C DAC->Adcom GFP-750 preamp->Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp
-> Martin Logan SL3s
DSpeaker Antimode 8033->REL T1 Sub
BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch (analog out)->Little Dot Mk III amp->AKG K701
headphones
SECOND BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch->Grado SR125 headphones