On 2 Feb 2012, at 13:50, Jeff Flowerday wrote:

> Down to what hz can you actually hear at 8ft?

Hearing is the least of it at these pitches. It's not the only sense involved.
Profound bass is primarily felt. However, the answer to the question is about
12-14Hz.

> How much music actually has much content below say 35hz?  The low E
> string on the electric bass is about 40hz correct?

A lot. You can't get a convincing impression of much church/classical organ,
low percussion, low strings and low brass (I'm talking about acoustic music
here) - so most orchestral music of the last 200 years - without subsonic
reproduction, despite the nominal 41Hz low on a double bass/ electric bass.
That's actually not that low, as instruments go.

Wagner specified C1 low for parts of the Ring - that's 31Hz. Lowest note on a
tuba, the Royal Festival Hall Organ (refurbished) and a Bosendorfer Grand is
16Hz. A 64 ft organ pipe (Royal Albert Hall) goes to 8Hz at which it is
inaudible, but sets the seats - and chests - vibrating. The routine bass drum
is probably about the same, and as a former orchestral percussionist, (and rock
drummer, for that matter), I want to feel the shock wave when I'm listening to
the audio as I did when I hit one.

Some synthesised music is at least as low, which must indicate an intention of
being felt as well as heard. I now can't recall the lowest I measured sound on
"Mirrorball" (Sarah McLachlan) when I was using a sub, but it was certainly way
below 25Hz, and a lot louder to an SPL at that range than my ears heard it -
although the chest was buzzing away nicely in sympathy. It's nothing like the
same listening to it without the sub. I really must get it out and set it up
with the Quads.