JohnSwenson;688895 Wrote:
> I hope everybody will bear with me, this is going to be a bit long, I
> have a lot to say on this subject.
>
> As the regulars should know by now I am one who can hear differences in
> equipment, and I'm also a technical person who builds his own stuff and
> tries hard to come up with correlations to measurable aspects of
> systems.
>
> I've noticed many ways in which the brain influences what I hear, so
> I'm definitely in the what you perceive can change camp, BUT that does
> not lead me to believe that all listening is therefore worthless, just
> that I need to have some understanding of what is happening so I can
> make somewhat meaningful interpretations of what I perceive.
>
> At this point I'm going to share some experiences in perception in
> another hobby of mine, hopefully this will illuminate the subject. I'm
> also heavily into amateur astronomy including building my own
> telescopes. Visual astronomy is another field in which human perception
> is key. We frequently are looking at objects which are right on the edge
> of perception, the brain also does all kinds of interesting things to
> modify what you perceive. The experienced observers have learned to
> manipulate the brain to get it to let them see whats really there.
> Astronomy has a big advantage over audio, you can look at the same spot
> in space with a big telescope and camera and determine if what the
> trained observers are seeing is really there or not.
>
> The upshot is that the trained observers can see things that untrained
> people can't, its not because they have "better vision", or better
> telescopes, but they have learned to manipulate how the brain filters
> what they perceive. "objective" measurements (pictures from the Hubble
> etc) verify that what they observe really is there.
>
> When I was new to the hobby I experienced this in a (at least to me)
> dramatic way. I had bought a fairly inexpensive yet quite decent
> telescope and was trying to see a famous nebula, which all the books
> said I should be able to see with this telescope. I spent a month and
> could not find it. From the star charts I knew just where it should be,
> but when I looked there, I couldn't see anything. I went to a star party
> with a bunch of experienced observers, and asked one of them if he could
> find the nebula with my telescope, he looked through it and said its
> right there, I looked and looked and could not see it. He chuckled and
> said "you are looking too hard, don't concentrate on seeing it, just
> relax and "look" at the whole field of view". I did that, and presto it
> popped into view, I concentrated hard at looking at the nebula and it
> vanished. I hadn't changed the scope, I hadn't changed where I was
> looking, the nebula was on the same spot on the retina, it wasn't the
> difference between rods and cones etc, it was what I was concentrating
> on!
>
> My theory at this point is that the brain is performing a form of AGC
> [...]

John, imagine we picked two pieces of sky, one with a nebula and one
without and we we repeatedly and randomly showed you each and asked if
it was the nebula or non-nebula sky you were seeing. If you got it
right 50% of the time, what should we conclude?

DBTs do not necessarily entail "snippets" - that is a misconception.
You can take as long as you like! There is no excuse for rejecting
blind listening as a concept.
Darren

--
darrenyeats