regalma1;689163 Wrote:
> There are a number of rules in the audio world that haven't held up. For
> long time it was considered that we could only hear differences of at
> least 1 dB. That has been demonstrated to not be correct. I remember
> reading about a double blind test in Stereo Review that went bad
> because there was a .1 dB diffenence in levels. The listeners could
> pick it up. Bell Labs was able to show that filtering out everything
> above 30 KHz was detectable by a person who was tone deaf above 10 KHz.
> Jim Smith in his book "Get Better Sound" has a great story about
> discovering that he could pick out sounds that were below the noise
> floor in analog recordings but not in a digital recording of the same.
> The human ear is pretty amazing.
>
> The naysayers about cables always claim that only resistance and
> reactance count. We in the wireless industry are being increasingly
> plagued by a distortion called PIM, which occurs in cables and
> connectors. It is every bit as possible in the audio range as the
> microwave. And no one except maybe a specially built research lab can
> measure PIM in the audio frequency range. We only recently have
> developed the ability to measure it easily in the microwave range,
> which is orders of magnitude easier.
>
> If people are consistently hearing differences even though the theory
> or instruments say they shouldn't we should assume it is always a case
> of self delusion. We knowledge is dwarfed by our ignorance.

There is an easy answer to all this: a statistically significant double
blind test. If such a test proves to an acceptable degree of certainty
*that* a difference exists, then we can move on to investigating *why*
it exists. But not until then, because there are an infinite number of
things we could "assume", and we don't have the time to investigate
then all.

--
darrell