Being a sworn objectivist and a hardened science worshipper, I've never
bothered experimenting with speaker placement, because I don't believe
that speaker positioning could make any audible difference.
Nevertheless, after reading various hi fi related material, I got the
impression that speaker placement could be, according to the collective
wisdom, the single greatest factor that could influence sound quality.
So I've decided to give it a try. But before I do that, wanted to get
some advice specifically on what would be the reasonable increments
when pushing speakers in and out from the back/side walls and around
the room?

The reason I ask this is because I have these huge Maggies sitting on
isolation cones that are a bear to move. They are very heavy, and each
time I move them, even a little bit, I need assistance from a friend in
order to position them back on the isolation cones.

So rather than slaving over tiny little movements around the room, I
was thinking perhaps there is a more reasonable approach which would
expect me to move the speakers in larger increments. What would be the
smallest increment that can potentially make audible difference (in
your opinion, of course)? My room is 20 feet long, 12 feet wide, 10
feet high.

--
magiccarpetride