Phil Leigh;689509 Wrote:
> The audio data in the Touch is not cached per se in the tradional sense
> - it is held in a FIFO ram buffer, since it is read once.
Ah, yes, the term cache was maybe a poor choice (and of course I was
talking about the internal cache or RAM in the CPU) but then again it
was a purely theoretical excercise on how the same amount of CPU cycles
might present a different amount of EMI depending on where the CPU
fetches the data it is processing. My reasoning is that accessing
memory external to the CPU is likely to affect the power rails to a
higher degree than accessing internal RAM (or cache). This may or may
not be relevant for the Touch though, mostly because I'm not all that
familiar with its inner workings.

I assume though that the FIFO of which you speak is a software
implementation using the normal RAM, thus requiring both write and read
accesses via a 32 bit DDR2 interface. The question regarding FLAC may be
whether the decoding process will generate additional read/write
operations to this RAM compared with WAV, or if it will perform the
decoding entirely using internal memory. Either way, it may still have
an edge on WAV when it comes to memory bus bandwidth.

Again, all purely theoretical, I neither claim nor believe that it's
really an issue.

--
alfista