Archimago;689989 Wrote:
> Hi Phil,
> I certainly appreciate the photography analogy since I'm heavily
> involved in that world as well.
>
> Upgrading to better audio gear for playback is like buying a better
> monitor to show off one's pictures in full resolution, better color
> depth, improved contrast...  There are obviously good monitors and bad
> ones that cannot be properly calibrated or have deficient specs.
>
> When we take photos, we never hear photographers say that the same shot
> will somehow look different if the file is on an SD/CF/memory stick, or
> 8x CF is better than 32x.  Likewise, nobody is concerned if I have a
> crappy slow USB1 card reader or super-duper USB3 reader... God forbid
> archiving your precious wedding/baby/family/vacation photos to CD!
>
> However, they believe that copying a WAV file off a CD drive 1x vs. 16x
> makes a difference when they KNOW it's an exact bit-perfect copy.
> Imagine the hilarity at a photo club if I announced that one
> should/must use only slow Lexar CF cards, USB1 cards readers, and a
> computer that is underclocked to 1GHz, otherwise the pictures cannot be
> transferred safely with "full resolution"! "I swear, even though the
> files are exactly the same, this one looks better my friends because it
> was taken with a Lexar card!"
>
> Yet, this is the kind of GITB (Ghost In The Bit) delusion being
> perpetuated in mainstream audio?
>
> I think it would be fascinating to survey how many 'audiophiles'
> believe this nonsense. I wonder if reputable manufacturers ever
> complain to the magazines (or better yet withdraw ads so as not to be
> associated with these psychotic articles)?
Hmmm... As well as photography I am heavily into astronomy ... Another
area where science/engineering is crucial... And the scientists In this
area make the ones involved in audio look like chimps! (relatively
speaking of course).

Part of me finds this whole "projection of analogue problem domain onto
digital" rather funny, but only in a slightly sad, ironic way.

In a slightly more controversial vein, I've always felt strongly that
unless one is a musician or has experience of recording/producing
musical performance to a reasonable standard, one is not really in a
position to realistically or meaningfully comment on the accuracy or
effectiveness of music reproduction systems. I don't want this to sound
pompous, but I'm sure it will. I really don't think that just listening
to music at home or in the concert hall is anything like the same
experience. Not even remotely close.

... And yet, who are the golden-ears that write the tablets of stone in
print or in hardware?
There are some exceptions like Christopher Breunig or Anthony
Michaelson... Few and far between.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.