Soulkeeper;691559 Wrote:
> There is no logical reason to believe HD fragmentation will have
> anything more than a negligible effect on ground plane noise (unless
> possibly if the HD is extremely fragmented, but then the user wouldn't
> need to turn on the sound in order to notice it).

Again, let's be strictly logical about this: hard drives are powerful
sources of rail noise. Fragmentation results in more drive activity.
Busier hard drives generate more rail noise. Rail noise generates
jitter and is  detrimental to clocks and analog stages. Differences
exist: proving a threshold for their importance is a non-trivial
matter. I'm not suggesting that fragmentation is a major issue here:
just trying to illustrate that a world of hardware complexity
underpins glib assumptions about the 'straightforwardness' of digital
transfer.

Soulkeeper;691559 Wrote:
> But seriously, if you transfer video via HDMI, it is not time sensitive,
> but if you transfer audio via HDMI, it is? Please explain?

Video transfer is also a realtime, dynamic digital transfer affected by
rail noise and jitter. Static image display and document printing are
more like file transfer: a one-time buffer filling operation. Apples
and bananas.

Soulkeeper;691559 Wrote:
> Actually, these statements hardly make sense. If you connect your
> printer to a 10 kV line, you'll see just how voltage sensitive it is.
> ;) But seriously, the ink nozzles of most inkjet printers are voltage
> controlled, and laser printers work by very accurately charging
> different parts of a rotating drum. If that isn't voltage sensitive,
> nothing is.

As you may know, audio reproduction equipment by definition amplifies
voltage fluctuations. Your printer - as well as not being a realtime
device - has wide tolerances, has no voltage-amplifiers in it and
produces crudely quantised output which no-one cares about scrutinising
very closely. It's a blunt instrument.

Soulkeeper;691559 Wrote:
> You're giving me no reason to believe your assertions are true. I can
> give you several examples of environmental variables that a PC's
> "playback" (whatever that's supposed to mean) would be sensitive to. Do
> I really need to do that?

Yes - even a PC, with all its error checking, is capable of being
disrupted by a malformed environment - and all it's doing is operating
on bits. How much more so a D-A conversion and clock . . .

Soulkeeper;691559 Wrote:
> Still, 99% of audio equipment is made without vacuum tubes. Not -that-
> good an idea, in other words.

That's a different debate altogether: although the figure isn't as high
as that. My point is that is was once considered 'best practice' to
build computers with tubes. That PCs now don't, but that the majority
of high-end audio systems do, illustrates the very different design
goals of audio systems and computers. Computers built with bulky linear
power supplies a la 1980s transports sound considerably better than
those powered by a modern, high-ripple ATX supply: no surprise at all
from the audio perspective, but it comes as a bit of a shock to some
who forget that their PC is made of wires and traces - not ethereal
pixie fluff.

Soulkeeper;691559 Wrote:
> Often, yes, 'but not always'
> (http://www.rediff.com/business/slide-show/slide-show-1-tech-10-most-expensive-laptops/20111014.htm).

Some products are made to get the job done as well as possible, as
cheap as possible. Others are made to be expensive and exclusive.

And that is where the difference lies; There's no magical divide
between audio equipment and all other electronic equipment. They all
work by the same principles, and they're all sold by the same
principles.

Again, marketing and expense is not the issue - especially in the
reductio ad absurdam case linked above. It's simple to measure primary
forums of output jitter, and to reduce it by improving components and
their operating environment. The whole spectrum of jitter, and the impact
of rail noise on analog measurements is tougher to pin down, but easy to
identify audibly. To massively oversimplify this, if you take a standard
SPDIF output from a stock motherboard, you might be dealing with 1400ps
jitter. From a high quality USB>SPDIF converter, perhaps as little as
double figures. The difference is very plain to hear and (partly)
measure. This is the logic, and these are the fundamental engineering
principles by which all electronic devices work.

The problem we're confronting here is that the MP3 generation have been
sold the lie of 'good enough'. To some extent, we've all been lured by
cheap, serviceable devices that sound OK. But really - logically - that's
all they are: OK. Shame that Logitech's genuinely useful Transporter died
a death: the market just wasn't ready for it. Maybe still isn't.

--
item_audio