You are right, the signal path in a power amplifier will be shorter - no
volume control or source selectors. But my opinion is that this is not
too important (others may have a different take, of course).

For £750 you will be able to get yourself a very decent integrated amp,
but also try the usual suspects on the lower side of £500 - you might
find that's all you need.

You might like the Naim Nait (a bit over your price limit at full
price) - I did. With this amp (and others, I'm sure) it is possible to
configure one of the inputs to bypass the volume control, so you could
experiment with using the SBT to control level.

To some extent your choice will depend on the speakers (specifically
their ease of drive) - what model of Tannoy do you have?

--
darrell