12 inches is a lot to move them all at once.  But, really, the only one
that can answer your question is you.  Move the speakers too far apart
and you may (I repeat, may) lose imaging---or you may improve it.

Most folks use certain tracks---especially ones with a clear center
voice---a la Diana Krall, etc.) so that you can relatively easily
determine whether a voice that's supposed to be hovering in
mid-air/centered between your speakers actually does.  I've certainly
found that an inch or so will make a definite and noticeable difference
in pulling a voice off to one side or another (assuming the listening
position is also centered).  The other variable here is that not all
recordings put the main instrument or voice dead-center, so you have to
watch that so you don't precisely and lovingly place your speakers using
a recording that's not centered and then have the other 90% of your
recordings sound off.

Best thing to do, if you can, is start with your listening position at
an equal distance from each speaker if possible.  There are
mathematical computations you can do to set speaker and listening
distance separation if you prefer something more empirical.  I believe
Cardas has a computational method out there on the web somewhere if you
search. However, rooms are different and even the mathmatical models may
only provide you a starting point.  Having a laser measurment device or
the cheap alterntive: string (but it's stretchy) helps in order to get
some precision.

If your chosen starting point isn't satisfactory, move the speakers
inward or outward an inch at a time until the voice starts to move
off-center and/or you start to feel the soundstage getting constricted.
You can also experiment with toeing the speakers in--again in
increments.  Your particular speakers may have a wide or very narrow
band of positioning in which they will project a nice spacious image
with a voice remaining centered.  Again, only experimentation will
tell.

Last thing I can say is that it can take a lot of time (and a bit of
frustration) to get it right---definitely helps to have a willing
partner.
I find I get listening fatigue after an hour or two and, if you think
you've got it right and aren't 100% convinced, sometimes it helps to
wait overnight and come back to it the next morning after you're ears
are refreshed.

--
rgro

Rg

System information
Main: PS Audio Quintet > Vortexbox > Teddy Pardo PS, Touch (wired) >
Toslink > Rega DAC > LFD LE IV Signature amp > VA Mozart Grands > REL
Acoustics R305.

Home Theatre:  Duet/SBR (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5
Classic 5.1.

SBS 7.7.1 r33751 on a Vortexbox Appliance, V 2.0,  Touch: FW 7.7.1
r9558.  Duet: FW 7.7.1 r9557.