chill;692970 Wrote:
> No, there isn't.  All that's on the CD is the data.  Getting a perfect
> rip and storing the bits is trivial these days.  This is the crux of
> the issue.
>
> You seem to be giving credence to the daft TAS claims, and the fact
> that you're a hifi retailer, particularly one who is apparently an
> evangelist for computer-based audio, illustrates perfectly what's so
> annoying about those claims.

I'm refusing to scorn an idea that - granted - initially seems
unlikely. I'm not leaping to the knee-jerk conclusion that everyone who
says similar things is delusional. I am questioning the credibility of
those throwing stones in ignorance. And, yes, we are a bit evangelical
about computer audio in the geekiest possible way.

However, given that no-one stands to make a penny from the idea that
rips or file formats differ, we can't even impute a commercial motive
to the OP, who isn't even getting the right to reply. So that shouldn't
annoy you.

Again, separating the technical from the economic, what's annoying is
the price, not the claim. If we plug into the Randi debate for a
moment, no-one would object to a £2000 interconnect if it costed £50
and sounded the same: in fact, we'd all be congratulating in on being
so accomplished.

Yes: high end cables cost too much. I've elsewhere argued that it's
ethically indefensible for almost any interconnect to cost more than
£500. Yes - some rich people are being overcharged for their toys:
heck, there are worse things to complain about. What really rubs on us,
I think, is knowing that the highest levels of sound reproduction are
only available to the privileged few who can afford them.

--
item_audio