item_audio;693019 Wrote:
> You are entertaining! Who's selling CD rippers? Certainly not the
> journalists writing the article. I grant you, there seems to be no
> basis for saying bit-identical rips differ predictably, but you won't
> catch me throwing rocks or feeling Fearful, Uncertain or Doubtful as -
> apparently - it was intended. I don't understand why you don't just
> find it interesting.
>
> Please explain: who benefits from that little gem? The journalist made
> his money the moment he submitted the article, unless he has shares in
> the software company that make the recommended ripper. Which is
> free...
>
> 'Snake Oil' was an expensive 'remedy' sold as a cure-all by travelling
> salesmen without qualifications. Here - as with the discussion of WAV v
> FLAC - there is no snake oil, because nothing is for sale.
>
> In place of discussion we have a mess of sloppy thinking, unfounded
> rage and wildly mis-directed accusation.
>
> Don't leap to conclusions on the basis of half the evidence; don't
> reject field data as irrelevant; don't be quick to assume people are
> mental; don't get angry (it's only tech); don't assume you're
> omniscient; and keep your accusations on target.

What "field data"? - are you seriously expecting us to take heed of
some anecdotal claim that there are audible difference between 2
bit-perfect rips?

Some of the people here have done/listened to more rips than you or the
guys at TAS or even at Record companies could imagine... 100,000's of
them!

No-one here claims/believes there is a difference. So that's "field
data" for you.

The whole point of the SB streaming model is that bit-perfect rips to
hard disk eliminate the computer and it network  - ALL of the software
and hardware - from the replay chain. Ethernet packets arrive in SB
player - they could have come from anywhere. They only hold data... no
magic... and more importantly nothing that can be damaged/changed
without us noticing. Don't believe me? - try playing back a dts or HDCD
stream...

We can discuss endlessly what happens within the SB player and/or
attached DAC (if any) but all discussion about what happens prior to
the SB player begins and ends with having a bit-perfect rip (a
mathematically trivially provable thing, unlike all audio snake oil).

Please we've been discussing this for the last 7+ years!
There's no difference if I send this post from my Laptop, PC or iPad.
Same data... this is COMPUTING not AUDIO. Computing has very rigid
rules. Audio has almost no rules.

There's no AUDIO until inside the SB...

As for WAV/FLAC, I see both Linn & Naim will happily sell you and let
you playback both. Good for them. The data content is identical. What
happens inside the player is a whole different issue.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.