item_audio;693111 Wrote:

> So yes, if you're decoding FLAC on the fly, that creates a different
> playback environment to streaming WAV to PCM: it's perfectly legitimate
> to question whether that difference is audible. It's not something you
> can work out on paper: it requires experimentation, measurement, and
> careful listening, and it inevitably varies from system to system. The
> 'armchair theorist' is useless in this conversation: only experience
> counts.
>
> Some of the claims made by the TAS article, however, do seem to cross
> the line and imply something either revolutionary or crazy. Then again
> “I can't see how that could be true” might only indicate a lack of
> imagination, and doesn't allow for future variables. Is it not better
> to reserve judgment than look an idiot in hindsight?

There are an infinite number of unfounded hypotheses which we could
consider, but it would be a complete waste of time. Of course,
scientists sometimes need imagination to take a leap into the unknown,
and discover something new about our universe. But let's not kid
ourselves - the assertion that a binary data file is identical to
another binary data file, but at the same time not capable of
delivering the same information content, is not an issue at the
frontiers of science, it is simple madness.

Without some sort of quality control (not to say a sanity filter), we
might as well all go looking for Russell's teapot.

--
darrell