Mnyb;693385 Wrote:

> ...Hint electronics is used in other stuff than audio and laws of
> pshysic are universally valid , nothing special with a circuit if it
> happens to carry an audio signal no exceptions for that...

Yes - and some (much) of that stuff is WAY, WAY more demanding than
audio. CERN neutrino detectors anyone? Almost anything to do with
astronomy (try capturing a single photon that has travelled billions of
miles), medical science such as NMR scanners, the list is endless.

The amount of precision and low-level signal/noise handling demanded by
these applications would make an audio designer shiver. The sheer
engineering is almost impossible to grasp in some cases.

I'm sick and tired of being told that there's stuff about the way
computers and networks work that we don't understand... really this is
the height of stupidity.

There is no other branch of "engineering" - and I use that term loosely
and somewhat ironically in this case - that comes within a million miles
of the neurotic fantasies of "high-end audio" (ha!).

Everything else I can think of manages to completely separate the
aesthetic quality of the output/results from the technical qualities of
the equipment. Audio is the only field I can think of where "better
engineered" and "personally preferred" or "more enjoyable" are
terminally confused.

For example, I'd love a Ferrari GTO but it's not "better engineered"
than a modern Ford. By almost any measure - and there are hundreds -
the Ferrari is rubbish by moderns standards. It is however a thing of
beauty and great fun to drive.

One major issue at the heart of this is the lack of understanding about
why audio measurements and preferences don't line up. Here's why: in the
vast majority of cases, peoples expectations of what something should
sound like are ONLY based on 2 things:

1)(sometimes) - what they THINK have heard it sound like before on
other systems
2) (always) - what they THINK they WANT it to sound like

It is impossible to measure these things - or even understand them -
as they are purely subjective, non-codifiable experiences, unique to
each individual. Also we know that aural musical memory is highly
flawed (it is short term and non-granular unless specially trained)

What does this mean? - it means that (to quote Peter Gabriel) "I know
what I like and I like what I know".
... but it also means that (excluding loudspeakers) in PROPERLY
CONDUCTED blind tests it will be impossible to reliably pick out
components based on their sound because they simply don't sound
different enough.

It's about time we started applying the "CERN faster than light
neutrino" test here... if 2 things sound different when logically they
shouldn't, they probably don't actually sound different and the truth
lies in the mind of the listener. Only a properly conducted blind test
will reveal this truth.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.