darrenyeats;694542 Wrote:
> Well, my sub journey continues.
>
> I have now settled on placing my sub at the same distance as my main
> speakers (centre of driver
> Not everything is better in the current position because a big room
> mode lives in the crossover region. However, I have Helmholtz
> Resonators managing that. Overall, it is better. Maybe I will play with
> the gain a bit.
>
> Any advice or suggestions? Even random ramblings like mine are
> welcome.
> Darren
>
> Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Personally, I found integrating a sub with main speakers is a rather
frustrating journey.

In the end, and in my room/system, the best result has come from NOT
trying for "massage." Instead, I systematically tried a variety of gain
settings at the minimum crossover (30Hz), then again at a slightly
higher crossover. I focused not so much on listening for bass, but
rather for correct timbres and credible soundstage. I found the
DSpeaker (see sig) processor to be helpful in correcting for room
modes. When I finally got piano music to sound close to that coming
from a real piano, I stopped.

In my room, the best sub location is on the centerline, about two feet
farther away than the main speakers.

Keep trying! Patience has it's rewards!

Guido F.

--
guidof

MUSIC ROOM:
Marantz TT 15S1 Turntable, Virtuoso Wood Cartridge->Conrad Johnson
Motif preamp
Oppo BDP-83 Universal Player->Cambridge Azur 840C DAC
Vortexbox Appliance->WiFi Bridge->Squeezebox Touch->Toslink->Cambridge
Azur 840C DAC->Adcom GFP-750 preamp->Music Reference RM-200 Mk II amp
-> Martin Logan SL3s
DSpeaker Antimode 8033->REL T1 Sub
BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch (analog out)->Little Dot Mk III amp->AKG K701
headphones
SECOND BEDROOM:
Squeezebox Touch->Grado SR125 headphones