OK - now I see why you are not understanding me :)

Phil Leigh;694633 Wrote:

> Information Theory in very simple terms says that the following streams
> of data contain identical information:
>
> The cat is black
> Ttthhheee cccaaattt iiisss bbblllaaaccckkk
> [...]
> To challenge Nyquist/Shannon et al makes no sense.

You are right and wrong at the same time :)
In many systems redundant data is used to overcome actual real world
problems. And noone would say "it makes no sense".

> We should be concerned with reproduction quality, and therefore we
> should be focused on how accurately the INFORMATION is converted into
> audible music, not on whether or not we have enough information/the
> correct information.

And I don't understand why we don't discuss whether the redundant data
in 192kHz streams MIGHT help to (more easily) convert the bits into
audible music, than without that redundant data.
Why do we stop this discussion pointing at some theory?

It's like a new employee comes into my company, looks at the database
tables in our programs and states "Uh oh - you DO know that according
to database normalization theory all those extra tables are not needed
at all? All that redundant data you are saving and transmitting here
could also be recreated with a much smaller set of data. What a waste,
you databasophil people you, you just don't know the theory well
enough".

And then with clear conscience we start to explain that while in theory
he is very very right - and yet we still decide to keep the redundant
data because it makes our lifes much much easier (compared to just
adhering to some theory).

--
bluegaspode

Did you know: *'SqueezePlayer' (www.squeezeplayer.com)* will stream all
your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? *'Squeezebox + iPad =
SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)*
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)