darrenyeats;695256 Wrote:
> Guys, here is where I was going wrong! I was thinking about that 16 bit
> waveform and then I was thinking in 16/44 DAC terms (I was sleep
> deprived!) which should smooth it analoguely.
>
> Obviously these DACs are not 16/44. But, even after getting some sleep,
> this morning I would expect an upsampling 24 bit DAC to smooth 16/44
> digitally.
>
> Now I realise when Stereophile tested the 16 bit undithered waveform,
> probably they used a file at the highest sampling rate and bit
> depth...just mimicking a 16 bit waveform within it. So the DAC doesn't
> treat it to any upsampling goodness...the customer wants a crude
> staircase drawn in hi-rez, the customer gets just that.
> Darren
>
> Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

erm... the sampling RATE won't make any difference to this...

I wouldn't want to  speculate too much on how Stereophile created their
test data, but as you can't easily record a perfect -90dB sine wave from
any analogue source... (too much noise!) my guess is they generated it
as a 16-bit wav test tone mathematically on a PC, which is easy enough
to do.

Presumably they use 16 bits for this test to represent redbook CD
replay into the DAC. Had they generated a 24-bit -90dB sine wave file,
the result would have looked VERY different :-)

When a 16-bit file is presented to a 24-bit DAC - as we know from our
Squeezeboxes - the "lowest" 8-bits are zero-filled (i.e. ignored).
Therefore, the resulting test result waveform would look the same if
the Benchmark was a 16 or 24 bit DAC... there's still only 1 bit
"wiggling around in value".

Actually, I can't see the point of performing this -90dB test on a real
24-bit DAC... not sure what they are trying to test. Surely they should
be doing a -144dB test?

In modern real-world terms this is meaningless because real-world
16-bit PCM streams are downsampled from 24-bit masters with dithering
of some form or other which obfuscates the "problem" in the lowest bit
by pseudo-randomizing its value. Bear in mind that no actual music
files will EVER have consecutive sample values that look like part of a
-90dB sine wave !!!!!!!.

Just to be crystal clear on this, when Stereophile talk about the 3
voltage levels... they ARE talking about the AC voltages:
zero-crossing, peak  and trough for a single bit representing the sine
wave. They are NOT talking about anything to do with "jagged" DC ladder
steps or anything like that - because with one bit going on or off there
would only be 2 DC values anyway (on or off) and those values do NOT
EXIST outside of the DAC chip/IV stage/Filter... so they can't be
measured by putting any kind of test equipment across the analogue
output of a DAC.
regards
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1
DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's,
ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend
Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus
Interconnect cables
Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.