I have used these two approaches (different proceedures, but similar at
the core) to place monitors (GR Research Paradox 1) and my Linkwitz
Orions in their rooms.

The "Iron Chef" method of speaker placement:
http://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=speakers&n=215930&highlight=Iron+chef+speaker+setup&search_url=%2Fdefault.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3DIron%2Bchef%2Bspeaker%2Bsetup%26b%3DAND%26topic%3D%26topics_only%3DN%26author%3D%26date1%3D%26date2%3D%26slowmessage%3D%26sort%3Dscore%26sortOrder%3DDESC%26forum%3DALL

Or the Master Set method:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=60819.0

Once you have done this a few times, it takes about an hour.  The first
time, maybe 3 hours.  I run a tape measure to the rear wall behind the
speaker and firmly tape it in place (or use weights) because the
measurements need to be accurate to at least 1/16" (not kidding).
Speaker movements are 1/8" at a time, and once in the zone you should
make smaller 1/16" movements.  At the end, you will have a great
improvement in the bass (solid vs. boomy) and a remarkable improvement
in clarity and coherence.  The great surprise is that once you get it
right, the sound is right for a large area (6-8 feet in my room) around
the listening chair.

My advice (based on long discussions on other forums) is:
- don't waste time arguing that this is crazy, please just try it.
- be patient when you first try this... as you move the first speaker
out from the wall, you are listening for ALL of the bass notes to sound
firm.  Don't worry, just move the speaker out another 1/8" and try
again.  It's there, you'll find it.  This is easier if your speakers
deliver deep bass, a little harder if your monitors only go to 60Hz.

I use this method for my speakers.  In my experience (my equipment, my
room, my speakers--small monitors and large dipoles) it works
profoundly well, and I suggest that you give it a try.  I don't have a
lot of time to post... maybe I can get one off every 2-3 weeks... and I
certainly don't have time to argue with folks who would rather argue
than to try it.

Pete

--
psp