magiccarpetride;697823 Wrote:
> I'm a musician and I also do recordings of my band in my home studio,
> which I then mix down and master. In doing that, I rely on my craft.
> Yes, this craft is based on certain scientific principles and facts,
> such as the knowledge and understanding of the frequency ranges of
> various instruments, the higher order harmonics, and such. But that's
> just the starting point -- once the science reaches its limit, I'm
> forced to switch to doing craft. This is similar to making your own
> beer at home -- you begin with certain laboratory-like preparations,
> control the temperature and so on, but then there comes a point where
> individual, personal touch takes over and you create your own brand of
> beer that defies scientific rigour.
>
> When recording my band, I tend to fiddle a lot with microphone
> placement. My ears are telling me that microphone placement has huge
> impact on how are the recorded instruments/vocals going to sound. Also,
> I fiddle a lot with recording levels. Finally, when the recording is
> done, I turn on my mixing console and do a lot of editing, scooping
> out, compressing, limiting etc. in order to achieve that ever-elusive
> ear-pleasing final mix. I then master the track, and give it to my band
> members.
>
> All that is pretty much hinging off my ability to practice and perfect
> my craft. I am not a sound scientist, I'm a sound craftsman.

Absolutely fine. As the artist, you are at liberty to do whatever you
like, however you want to do it. This is, quite properly, entirely in
the domain of artistic choice and personal preference.
magiccarpetride;697823 Wrote:

> Same goes for me setting up my music reproduction system. I fiddle a
> lot with speaker positioning, and test various placements with my ears.
> Do I like how the speakers sound if I place them over there? What if I
> toe them in under a sharper angle? What if I place this plant behind
> the speaker, all the way in the corner?
>
> So you see, very little science goes into this twiddling, it's mostly
> craft and my ability to carefully listen that determines how is my hi
> fi going to be set up. No big mystery here.
Of course, professional quality measurement and analysis tools would
tip the balance back towards science, but maybe I should have framed
the question more narrowly - "Digital music transfer - science or
craft?"

--
darrell