darrell;697912 Wrote:
> But some of the differences reported are so astounding, that if real
> rather than psychological, surely it can no longer be the same
> bitstream arriving at the DAC?

I must say that you raise a good point here. Maybe that's exactly the
case here? Could it be that by tinkering with the priorities and
tasklets, we are in effect 'ameliorating' the bitstream, meaning adding
signal that was never present on the original recording?

darrell;697912 Wrote:
> It must point to the Soundcheck Toolbox acting like some sort of graphic
> equaliser (one with the most unintuitive set of "sliders" ever!).

I'd say that, in my experience, it's more like the TT3.0 is acting like
a Soundshop (i.e. something similar to the notorious Photoshop) tool.
You know how you can upload an unadorned digital photo from your
camera/phone and play with it using Adobe Photoshop by adding extra
information that was never recorded in the camera? You can brighten the
photo up, sharpen it, apply color saturation, plus add all kinds of
outlandish effects. Many people enjoy playing with such tools, because
these tools give them the ability to ameliorate and pretty up their
ho-hum photos. I know a lot of people who would never publish their
photos unless they first fix them using Photoshop.

darrell;697912 Wrote:
> So nothing to do with "high fidelity", then, given that the Touch in
> stock form delivers a bit-perfect stream to the DAC?

You may be right again. If we're using this 'Soundshop' (i.e. TT3.0) to
add information that was never there to begin with, that would be the
exact opposite of high fidelity. That would be extreme case of
infidelity.

Again, I have no idea whether that's exactly what's happening, all I
know is that I can personally hear discernible differences between
certain profiles. At the same time, there are certain tweaks/profiles
where I cannot, for the life of me, hear any differences. Now, among
the differences I am capable of hearing, some are more and some are
less pleasing to my ears. Which is where personal taste enters the
picture, at which point all bets are off.

--
magiccarpetride