based on TT3.0 I thought the max buffer time setting was 50000 uS, by
upping the maxbuff setting in the TT file it can be set higher, I have
maxbuff set to 99999999 - don't go higher.

with the following change I can get a period size of 1024 and buffer
size of 4096 frames when the buffer time is set to 100000 for 16/44.1 or
24/96, below 100000 the buffer period and size vary.

However, I can hear changes to the sound when using larger buffers than
100000, with the sound becoming less digital like the higher the values
go. eg using 500000, 500001, 5000000, 37000000 etc

aplay.c seems to do something different at the 500000 theshold and also
uses the snd_pcm_hw_params_set_buffer_time_near function to set the
buffer time

The question is does anyone know what is happening with buffers larger
than 100000, what factor is causing the sound to change and can it be
measured ?

Also, cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params doesn't return the
buffer time being used, is there a way to display the buffer time ?

change the following setting in file

/etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings/SqueezeboxFab4.lua

alsaPlaybackPeriodCount=2 to alsaPlaybackPeriodCount=4

save file and TT -rbt

/etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings$ cat
/proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED