magiccarpetride wrote:
> This is why blind tests are of little value, overall -- they just create
> a lot of stress and trepidation.

Classic subjective response featuring the selective use of psychological
issues in audio testing.

Our poor, frightened test subjects are cowed into helpless uselessness
when they find themselves in a situation where their "100 times better,
even my wife could hear it" declarations are subject to a situation they
cannot manipulate. Thereby the results of these tests can be blithely
dismissed as irrelevant.

Meanwhile, the myriad and well established psychological influences
present in sighted conditions are deemed inconsequential when their
favorite audiophile item "demolishes" the competition. They are
completely confident they have "proved" their case.

magiccarpetride wrote:
> ...the subjective mood. A completely unmeasurable factor, it has the
> power to affect how we see/hear things. It could be construed as being
> highly exploitative and opportunistic if someone were to claim to have
> the standardized solution for imparting the best possible mood into the
> subject, which is what Peter Belt appears to be saying.

But attempting to universalize their personal psychological experience
is precisely what a lot of subjective types spend their time doing. I've
seen plenty of examples where there is a tremendous amount of
subconscious peer pressure applied in sighted audiophile listening
sessions, even discarding sales situations.

I gladly admit I'm the biggest single variable in my system. My mood,
whether I'm tired or alert and endless other factors affect what I
perceive. However, I don't go looking for dirty power or an inferior
cable on which to blame things. If Peter Belt is simply restating that
our mood affects perception, he does a pretty dang poor job of
explaining himself, what with frozen photos and magic foils. Perhaps he
is stuck with some warped emotional baggage that causes photos in the
freezer to improve his auditory perception, but it is the height of
arrogance to even hint, as he does, that there is some universal
applicability of this for the rest of us.

We're circling back to the rather consistent issue that subjectivists
aren't happy for their experiences to simply be their own.