rgro wrote:
> But I have rarely seen anybody discuss the mirror image, and what would
> seem equally possible:  that, due to the same expectation biases and/or
> other mechanisms, we do not hear changes that are actually there.

If you don't expect a tweak to make a change, you're not very likely to
apply the tweak. Since you didn't apply the tweak in the first place,
the change you didn't hear didn't exist either, so you'll most likely be
correct in concluding that there is no significant change.

And in such a case, I can't see that there's anything to study. Or ...
is it?

"The study of what's not there" ... hm, there should be a name for that.
Oh right, 'there is' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theology). And as it
happens, the human species has produced tons of books on the subject. So
if you're interested, all you need to do is go to the nearest library
and knock yourself out. ;)