Soulkeeper wrote:
> How much? ;)

Heheh, we both might well not be around to collect, however!

Would you agree that we could have made this same bet, on a different
subject, a few hundred years ago?  I would be the one saying that,
someday, someone will figure out how to get 1,260,000 pounds (the max
takeoff gross weight of an Airbus A-380) of metal, people, and other
materials to fly 7 miles above the earth's surface,  for over 8,000
miles without falling to the earth.  You would be saying that this
violated all the then-known "laws" of physics and engineering, talking
of monkeys, etc. etc.

To be more precise (in the context of aviation), no immutable laws of
physics, etc. were really violated,  but theretofore unknown laws
(aerodynamics in particular) were discovered by a few of those same
intrepid monkeys pounding away at their typewriters.  And they took
those new "laws" (which, of course, continued to evolve) and combined
them with the old "laws" to create something that has, since, defied all
the best knowledge of that former time.

I agree that, in the micro-context, Triode, soundcheck,et al probably
did have a clue about what they were up to, but I can't profess to know
what was in their minds, nor if either of them tried something that they
were pretty sure wouldn't work, tried it anyway, and found that,
contrary to all their assumptions, it did.

However, in the more macro-context, say a few hundred years, I'll take
that bet any time!  I'll direct my estate to accept the contribution
from your estate.