John,
With respect (as a person knowledgeable about IT to a person who appears
knowledeable about electronics) your time would be better spent trying
to insulate the DAC from the processing-related noise, rather than
trying to characterise system settings as good or bad for sound quality.
Does your partner watching 2D or 3D television in the next room cause
different mains pollution for your DAC? (Yes there is probably
difference in the noise pattern.)  But we cannot conclude 2D or 3D is a
higher fidelity setting from a general audio point of view!

This is my main objection about software modding the SBT. Changing
something doesn't mean you have really improved it.

Also I question the assumption that because something sounds better in a
particular system that it must be better. It's easy to imagine a
scenario where this isn't the case (e.g. a room with strange acoustics
served better by a DAC with inaccurate tone).

Most sensible people agree about these points, I think.
Darren

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2