Triode wrote:
> It has been reported elsewhere that tuning the kernel module parameter
> nrpacks may have an impact on sound quality with EDO when using a usb
> dac.
>
> This can be achieved by:
>
> echo NUMBER > /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/nrpacks
>
> Please note that if you try this tuning parameter there are two things
> to look out for:
> 1) The kernel we use will limit values of nrpacks to between 1 and 20 -
> any values larger than 20 will be silently treated as 20
> 2) This parameter is only read at the time the usb audio device is
> created.  With EDO this occurs while the kernel is booting as we need to
> have the device available for the squeezeplay application.  I'm not
> convinced at present that we can effectively change this parameter with
> EDO in operation.  I'll produce a test kernel to check this.
>
> Edit: Confirmed - nrpacks is only set when the usb device is detected.
> With the current kernel we can set it to a value between 1 and 20 but
> only if it is done before the usb device is connected/powered on, or if
> the usb dac is turned off and on after setting the parameter.  So to
> tune this parameter at present will require manual tuning and then
> turning off/on the dac which must also have been on at startup for
> squeezeplay to recognise it.  I am yet to be convinced of an impact on
> sound quality, but I wanted to make sure people know how to tune it to
> have any effect...

Hi Triode,
back in the days when I was working with HRT streamer with my own hacked
up jive_alsa and manually editing files I could definitely hear a
significant difference in sound by changing nrpacks. If I remember
correctly the default is 8, going lower improved the sound and going
higher made it worse. The system still worked with nrpacks set to 1 and
this gave the best sound of all.

I haven't had time to try this with EDO yet, and it's probably going to
be a few more weeks before I can get some time to try some of the recent
optimizations.

John S.