LarsHP wrote:
> As I said - I am no computer engineer, but my statement was regarding
> timing in the digital domain in general, not certain parts of the
> digital domain.
>
> Thanks to both of you guys for your quick replies.
>
> Do you think a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 RNDU2000 will do a good job?
> As I understand, the NAS should preferably be x86 compatible ...

The ultra seems a popular choice .

Competitors would be vortexbox, HP proliant microserver .

A shuttle or other barebones small PC, some higher end Synology modell
.

There are a bunch of plug computers and ARM based devices that are
popular , if one will sacrifice some performance for the powersaving and
can live without transcoding options .

x86 or some of the latest arm devices .

I think gary had the old ReadyNAS duo ,wich was very slow and had very
little ram :-/

As I understand a NAS is more expensive than a barebones diy /vortexbox
/microserver but offers other pre-installed features if you like som of
the other features that a NAS vendor offers this may be your choice .
If it's only for the squeezeboxserver you can get more bang for the buck
elsewhere .