darrell wrote:
> If I were starting from scratch, I'd get the mini-pc and a large USB
> disk, and forget about the NAS.
I agree completely. You can get a lot more processing power per dollar
(or pound or euro) with a small form factor pc than with a NAS. The pc
also tends to be more flexible when it comes to choosing OS, changing
hardware, etc. In addition, you often get better power management with a
pc, so that even if the pc draws more watts than the NAS (and that is an
_if_ because some NASs are power hungry), the total power consumption
can be less by using suspend/hibernate/shutdown and wake-on-LAN.