Mnyb wrote:
> +1
>
> I use wol i have a dual core mini server the server and LMS is up in 2
> minutes , so I boots in the morning WOL by my boom.
>
> I turn it of when going to work , and Touch any player when I get home ,
> and it's running again , and I turn it off when going to sleep so it is
> actually only running 6-7 hours a day .
>
> Before I got a server I used my desktop with WOL and sleep mode, but it
> was a bit clunky and loud, but if your normal pc is a laptop why not ?
> It migth be the cheapest option of them all.

It's not only Cheap, it's blazing fast as well. Our laptop is a 17"
desktop replacement so it has 2*500Gb disk, so all our lossless music is
stored on the internal drives. This means the whole squeezebox system
including the webinterface is very responsive. Managing the music
(ripping, tagging etc.) is also very fast because it's local disks.
Before, we used a USB disk but it was slow and noisy.

Also we didn't have to buy yet another piece of hardware and learn a new
OS (NAS/Linux).

When not in use, our laptop suspends and uses very little power 1.7W,
resume by WOL takes just 2-3 seconds and power consumption raises to
17W, but often it's in use by my wife or one of the kids anyway, so
running squeezeboxserver is free in this case.