have found a way to tame the EDO sound in my 'revealing system', so back
to using the Touch.

as always would appreciate Triodes comments on these

have set the alsaPlaybackDevice="default" in file SqueezeboxFab4.lua,
this was an SBGK mod, default is 'default'

I then executed cat /proc/asound/cards to get

/etc/squeezeplay/userpath/settings$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [TXRX           ]: MXC_SPDIF - MXC SPDIF TX/RX
MXC Freescale with SPDIF
1 [fab4           ]: fab4 - fab4
fab4 (ak4420)
2 [fab4_1         ]: fab4 - fab4
fab4 (wm8974)
3 [M192kHz        ]: USB-Audio - Musical Fidelity V-Link 192kHz
Musical Fidelity Musical Fidelity V-Link 192kHz at
usb-fsl-ehci.0-1, high speed

my device is card 3 which is actually no 4 as it starts counting at 0

look at index parameter in /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/

index   - index (slot #) of sound card
                - Values: 0 through 31 or negative
                - If nonnegative, assign that index number
- if negative, interpret as a bitmask of permissible
                  indices; the first free permitted index is assigned
                - Default: -1

so then run the following, 1 at position 4 means the vlink card gets
assigned first, sounds good.

--change the permissions to allow the index parameter to be changed

chmod 666 /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/index

echo  0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0 > /sys/module/snd_usb_audio/parameters/index