why not have the default code use the 0.6 method and then if it senses
internet radio at the start of the track make it branch to a separate
codepath that allow the internet radio format to play.

as far as I know no one is complaining about 0.6 and even the guy who
requested the internet radio functionality noticed a difference in
sound.

I know the change in code looks small, but is it something that is
executed once at the start of a track or a million times a second ?

otherwise seems we are headed to a sound compromised by the desire to
play low resolution internet radio, which is just bizarre in something
whose major benefit was better SQ.